CMS tape backup and sysv386 (Has ANYONE been successful??)

WB3FFV howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org
Fri Apr 12 03:47:45 AEST 1991

>From article <KAYVAN.91Apr10122500 at satyr.UUCP>, by kayvan at satyr.UUCP (Kayvan Sylvan):
> In article <1991Apr9.021529.22091 at rock.concert.net> wojtowic at fletcher.cs.unca.edu (David Wojtowicz) writes:
>
>    OK...maybe I'm being far too negative here. To be fair...
>    Has anyone gotten a CMS hardware/software setup working to their
>    satisfaction on sysv386?  I'd love to know about it.
>
> Just return the drive and get a Wangtek or Archive.

   Hello All,

I think this is selling CMS a little short, I generally prefer to use the
Archive drives as they seem to be darn quick (at least under UNIX V/386),
but that dosen't mean the CMS drive is junk!   I had a client that was
using MS/DOG on there 80386 system and had the CMS Jumbo-40/60 drive which
actaully worked well for them.  At some point they decided to go to UNIX,
so I installed Interactive 2.2 what was supposed to support floppy tape
backups.  I found as I am sure many others have that the supplied driver
(by Interactive) was worth a hoot.  At that point I contacted CMS and
purchased the driver that had avalible.  This driver installed without
any trouble, and has been running fine ever since.  One nice thing about
the CMS driver is that it uses the same menu interface that the user was
used to under DOS, so there was NO learning curve.

The moral of this story is, the CMS tape units work fine if you are
willing to purchase there driver (kinda makes sense).  But if you
have a hangup on buying the CMS software then this cheep solution is
not for you...

All flames to /dev/null!

Internet  : howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Advanced Business Solutions
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	210 E. Lombard St - Suite 410
FAX       : (301)-244-8790              |       Baltimore, MD 21202
PACKET    : WB3FFV @ WB3FFV.MD.USA.NA   |       Phone: (301)-576-8635