The INfamous inode bug

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Wed Jan 9 23:05:25 AEST 1991

bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>750 newsgroups -- and my traffic is usually (don't have the figures in
>front of me) somewhere around 8mb.  10-12mb is not at all uncommon.
>Right after the holiday break, one day was 15.5mb.

>It's interesting to see so much of a variation in what people are reporting
>for traffic.

I guess the traffic depends on the quantity of newsgroups - as well
as how far one is down the line (which would cause a larger paths line).

When we were getting news from iuvax->news.nd.edu we were only picking
up 10 or so different base groups - but since we've switched to the university
of michigan - we now get around 30..  I guess some backbone sites don't
get all the newsgroups that are available.  We even get a regional newsgroup
for stuggart, west germany.

Traffic yesterday was 13.5 megs -

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator