binary Mach distribution for 386

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Wed Jan 16 05:25:24 AEST 1991

shore at mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) writes:

>In article <1991Jan10.163048.20613 at scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>>i think all those intelligent peripherals, like scsi host adapters, multiport
>>and ethernet cards, with their own processors and RAM can help a lot with
>>these performance problems.

>For example, when E&S
>was bringing Mach up on their ill-fated supercomputer, they found
>that they were only getting 500K throughput on a 10 megabit ethernet.
>The problem turned out to be that the folks at CMU had replaced
>the software interrupt mechanism for moving packets into the protocol
>layer with a kernel thread.  The network code, of course, was
>pre-tahoe BSD, so they should have been seeing about 1.5 megabits.
>You all can do the arithmetic.

that's why i mentioned the intelligent peripherals. it's necessary
to offload the network code to the interface anyway. for example, with host
based tcp/ip over 100Mbit FDDI you get about 20Mbit/s max throughput.
if you use the FDDI- and TCP/IP-chips you get about 70Mbit/s.
i think that clearly shows the way to go.

>And,
>if you want to see Mach 3.0 any time in the near future, I would
>suggest looking into getting an AT&T source license.

just a little bit too expensive...
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: