Unix/Novell interface

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Sat Jan 12 00:07:26 AEST 1991

It seems to me there is some confusion about what is meant by "Unix/Novell
interface".

	"Let me log into my unix machine using a terminal emulator on my
	 Novell Network supported PC".  I Believe this is what the Interlan
	 gateway product does.

	"Let me runDOS/Unix integration software like telnet client and NFS
	 client on my Novell Network supported PC without haveing to reboot/
     reconfigure".  This is what the Clarkson Packet Driver stuff gets
	 you.

	"Give me unix software to make my Unix host look like a Novell
	 server to my PCs".  This is Portable Netware.

	One that has no solution is "Give me a way to make my NFS server look
	like a Novell Server to my Novell client PCs".  Don't laugh; This is
	what a GatorBox with GatorShare does for Apple FileShare/NFS.

Anyways, my point is, whether you can integrate Unix/Novell depends on
what you mean by "integrate".  Just because TokenRing/Ethernet Router boxes
exist doesn't mean you can easily integrate your IBM PC-network with your
TCP/IP unix stuff.

How much are various vendors, especially Interactive, charging for their
Portable Netware ports?  My hardware/OS vendor (Prime Computer) has done
some work to provide terminal emulation to the PCs as part of the package,
and is charging _alot_ for it.

We should probably move this thread to comp.dcom.lans, where Novell/
Unix integration has been discussed at length.  Portable Netware is
available for numerous other platforms besides SysV 386 (for example
Pyramid).

Dan
---
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130
uunet!fciva!dag				fciva.FRANKCAP.COM!dag at uunet.uu.net