Exabyte drive on Intel V.4 with WD7000

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Jan 26 05:13:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.184603.9612 at meteor.wisc.edu> bt at meteor.wisc.edu (Bill Taylor) writes:
>I have placed both at id 2 and at id 5 on the SCSI BUS and upon
>booting, It says that it sees an Exabyte(Probably data from
>an inquiry) and that since it is not supported, it will not
>be configured. Since I wish to develop from X I am not buying more memory
>until I either get this to work or uucp(also a problem).

The problem is that AT&T in it's infinite wisdom has placed a hard-coded
table into the kernel of the devices that the system will support.  This
table is located in /etc/conf/pack.d/sd01/space.c.

Each entry in the table has two pieces of information.  The first piece is
the EXACT string returned by the SCSI inquire request.  This will be displayed
by the os when it tells you that it doesn't know about the device.  You must
copy it down exactly including spacing, upper/lower case, punctuation.

The second piece is the number of "LUs supported by the TC".  I don't really
know what this is, but for 99.9% of the SCSI devices out there it will be a
1.

So to get your tape drive working add a line to the table that says
something like:

	"Exabyte id string....    ", 1, /* Exabyte 8mm tape drive */

> Help via EMAIL would be wonderful.

I posted the response because I felt this would be of general interest.

>The UUCP problem is the infamous DEVICE UNAVAILABLE. I have what worked
>well for V.3 and made uucp owner and group. ??????? The other entries
>shouls work in Devices, Dialer, and Systems.

This isn't enough information to diagnose the problem.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170