Problems building gcc under Microport's SVR3.2

Steve Cirian cirian at einstein.eds.com
Thu Jan 17 00:49:35 AEST 1991

Sorry if this was already posted, but it didn't show up in the newsgroups I
posted to (at least at my site).

I am posting this for Tom Manos, as he is having problems with his news feed,
so please reply to him at the address he has given at the bottom of this note,
not to me.

Thank you,

Steve Cirian

I don't get the gnu hierarchy, so my appologies if this really belongs
there.

I'm having probelms building gcc and friends under Microport
SysV/386R3.2.  I'm doing this for a fellow netter who also has uport,
but without the development set, so I have to build the complete gnu set
as stand-alones using COFF-ENCAPSULATE.  I followed the instructions in
binutils/README-ENCAP, and was able to build the gcc stuff, gas and most
of binutils.  The binutils went ok until make hit gprof, where gcc died.
That's not a major problem for now since gprof isn't required to build
the rest.  I built libc.a and gnulib without problems.  Robotussin
worked ok on /lib/crt0.o, but when I went to compile my first program
with gcc, the loader choked on /lib/crt1.o.  When I tried robotussin on
/lib/crt1.o, it choked too.

Here's some diagnostic output:  first the make on gprof.

	gcc -g -DUSG -DCOFF_ENCAPSULATE -DPORTAR -DNON_NATIVE -DPIGNAL_MISSING -c gprof.c
gprof.c: In function vsprintf:
gprof.c:220: `_IOSTRG' undeclared (first use this function)
gprof.c:220: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
gprof.c:220: for each function it appears in.)
gprof.c: At top level:
gprof.c:673: conflicting types for `printf'
gprof.c:673: A parameter list with an ellipsis can't match
gprof.c:673: an empty parameter name list declaration.
/usr/include/stdio.h:92: previous declaration of `printf'
gprof.c:674: conflicting types for `fprintf'
gprof.c:674: A parameter list with an ellipsis can't match
gprof.c:674: an empty parameter name list declaration.
/usr/include/stdio.h:92: previous declaration of `fprintf'
gprof.c:681: conflicting types for `fread'
/usr/include/stdio.h:91: previous declaration of `fread'

*** Error code 1
Stop.

This appears to be a problem with my stdio.h.  I can't find a reference to
_IOSTRG anywhere but in that one line of grpof.c.  It's not in my stdio.h.
Anyone know what the problem is here?  It also looks like several of the
library functions are being declared both in the program, and in stdio.h.  I
haven't had time to pick through the macro definitions yet, though.  But I
should be good to go without gprof, sooo...

Here's what happens when I try to compile something with gcc/ld/gas as
it stands now:

$ gcc -o uudecode uudecode.c
/usr/local/lib/gcc-ld: malformed input file (not rel or archive) /lib/crt1.o

At least the compiler and assembler appear to be working ok.

Here's what happens when I try to convert /lib/crt1.o with robotussin:
$ robotussin /lib/crt1.o /usr/local/lib/gcc-crt1.o
robotussin: Oops! possible bug - reloc reference to ignored symbol

I'd sure like some help here.  Has anyone been successful getting
COFF-ENCAPSULATE to work with Microport SysVR3.2?  As an aside, compiling
gcc without COFF-ENCAP, and using the SysV as and ld works fine.

One more question:  What can the guy I'm doing this for do for a set of
header files.  They all contain AT&T's copyright notice, so it's presumably
illegal, immoral, unethical and several other bad words for me to give
them to him.  What recourse will he have?

NOTE - this is being posted by an acquaintance since my feed is braindead
for a while.  Please respond by email to the address below.

Thanks for any help.  Please respond by email to:
manos at xanth.cs.odu.edu
if that doesn't work, try:
manos at xanth.cs.odu.edu
If there's enough interest, I'll summarize to the net.

Tom Manos @ wyvern
Norfolk, VA

Steve Cirian		~  local girl:  What does BRMC stand for?
750 Tower Drive		~  Johnny:      Black Rebels Motorcycle Club
Troy, MI 48007		~  local girl:  What are you rebelling against?
(313) 265-5738		~  Johnny:      Whattya got?