SCSI primary?

Jim Smithson jsmithso at aut.autelca.ascom.ch
Tue Jan 8 23:20:37 AEST 1991

We are going through this exercise right now. It appears that
the motherboard/BIOS makes a big difference. Our 33Mhz caching Taiwanese
mother board would not boot Interactive UNIX 2.2 using the
Adaptec AHA-1542B SCSI Host Adaptor with a Micropolis 1684-7 disk drive(330Mb).

We placed the SCSI HA/Disk into a 25Mhz unit, UNIX boots/installs just fine.
The 25Mhz motherboard is from the same manufacturer. The whole system
is sold under the SPEEDPRO name here in Switzerland.
Our only problem is that the 25Mhz unit has been discontinued by the
local dealer, so if the board blows we will have to find the same unit
elsewhere or switch motherboards.

The BIOS in the 25Mhz and 33Mhz unit is made by AMI, I believe the version
in the 33Mhz unit is a later release even though both chip sets have the
same stickers attached.

If anybody knows the real reason for our problems please mail me direct.
I did try some different jumper configurations on the Adaptec HA without
success in the 33Mhz unit.
--
James R. Smithson	Ascom Autelca AG      CH-3073 Guemligen/Switzerland
E-mail: jsmithso at autelca.ascom.ch   FAX: +41 31 527 528  Voice : +41 31 529 214