Help with TCP/IP startup errors

Richard Cutler rcutler at sandray.axion.bt.co.uk
Tue Jun 11 02:35:13 AEST 1991

Can anybody give me some help in trying to work out what's going wrong
when my system starts up ?

I am running SCO unix 3.2v2.0 on a 386 box with a Western Digital 8003E
ethernet card. After problems installing the ethernet card, I can now get the
system to admit that the card is present, using IRQ 3, and base address 0x0240.

When the system comes up into multi-user mode, error messages are displayed
when TCP is started.
Here's a transcript of what happens:

Starting TCP: cpd slink: register: activation state mismatch

Couldn't Register: Error 0
slink ldsocket ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): Invalid argument
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): Invalid argument
strerr inetd routed rwhod
The system is ready.

Once the system has started, trying something to access the net, or use
TCP in general results in an error.
e.g. ping

% ping localhost
ping: connect: Can't assign requested address

The ethernet card is OK according to the testing software supplied with it,
so the problem is either with the TCP itself, or a mistake in the configuration
of the system.

Any advice will be most welcome.

Thanks,
Richard.

Richard Cutler                   rcutler at axion.bt.co.uk
Software Technology              ...!ukc!axion!rcutler
British Telecom Labs.            Tel: +44 473 642612
Martlesham Heath                 DoD #164
Ipswich, IP5 7RE                 VFR750F-L
The other day I heard that sponges grow in the ocean.
Can you imagine how deep the water'd be if they didn't?
Richard Cutler                   rcutler at axion.bt.co.uk
Software Technology              ...!ukc!axion!rcutler
British Telecom Labs.            Tel: 0473 642612
Martlesham Heath                 DoD #164
Ipswich, IP5 7RE                 VFR750F-L