Anyone using ESIX V.4?d

Nathan D. Lane nlane at well.sf.ca.us
Fri Jun 21 17:03:24 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.131606.3764 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>>OK, ESIX folks, can you answer this one:  will a DOS emulator (a la
>>>DOS Merge or ISC VP/ix) *ever* be available for ESIX?  This may be one
>>>of the sticking points here, because a number of people want to run
>>>DOS software at our site.{
>>>

>>They're available now.  VP/ix from ISC works on ESIX.  AT&T Simultask
>>works on ESIX.
>
>But not ESIX R4 (or so I'm told).  The reason being is that ESIX is based on
>SysV/386 R4.0.3.  All of the other vendors are based on R4.0 or R4.0.1.
>DOS/Merge only works with those prior versions.  As for VP/ix.  I don't know.
>Supposedly ESIX is working with Locus to get DOS/Merge 386 running under their
>Unix R4.

Yes, Esix is working with vendors (Locus) to get DOS/Merge 386 running
under Esix, and yes, it is because Esix is 4.0.3 that DOS/Merge doesn't
currently work under Esix.  I don't believe that VP/ix runs on anyone's
4.0 yet, but don't quote me on that one.  Esix is also working with
Locus to possibly bundle DOS/Merge in their release, as soon as it works.

(I currently run Esix 3.2 rev d with VP/ix and it works fine.  I guess
I'll lose vp/ix when I go to 4.0 - moral - stick with 3.2 for now if you
need DOS emulation)

-Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service, Santa Barbara
(805) 683-3760		authorized esix resellers