Help on installing/activating printers?

Ernest Adams ewadams at netcom.COM
Fri Jun 21 17:02:25 AEST 1991

I've just been trying to install my printer on my ESIX 3.2 system,
and after considerable frustration found that ESIX, when originally
installed, failed to create the appropriate directories for me.
It's a darn good thing the directories which *should* have been present
were listed in the manual.  In any case, I now have the printer
installed and working, but I do have a question about getting (and
keeping) it activated.

Should "/usr/lib/accept <printername>" be permanent?  It seems that way
to me, but when I reboot, the system comes up with the printer rejected;
reason given: new destination.  Likewise, "enable <printername>"
doesn't seem to be permanent -- on reboot the printer is disabled,
reason given: new printer.  How do I make a printer not "new"?  And
the destination, besides?  What I wound up doing was adding a new
file to /etc/rc2.d called S81lp which contained commands to accept and
then enable the printer.  This works, but I suspect it is a hack (I'm
not enough of a Unix whiz to know if I should be fooling around in there).

What the canonical solution?

-- Ernest