ODT 1.1 AFS loosing disk space w/ BNEWS

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.COM
Sat Jun 15 06:36:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun13.191114.6944 at ingres.Ingres.COM> thomasm at elk.ingres.com (tom markson) writes:
-I am running SCO ODT 1.1 with BNEWS and have found that the AFS (file
-system) seems to incorrectly deal with the expired history and active
-files.  It appears that when expire is run, the old history file is not
-put back in the free list.  Since these files tend to be quite large, my
-disk space is slowly consumed.

I've been running bnews for years starting with 286 Xenix.  My expire
is rm -rf most of the time as the real expire is much slower and I'm
the only news user.  But I don't recall any file system problems on
any production versions of the kernel.

It sounds like some process has opened a history file and is hanging
around too long.  Make sure no news related processes are running
when you stop the system.

-
-	3. Has anyone else run into this problem and found a fix (either
-	   in the OS or in Bnews)?  Does Cnews do this too?
-
I've run cnews expire with no obvious problems beyone the obvious one that
expire doesn't do what trn's mthreads program needs.  So I still do an
rm -rf.

When compiling cnews, do NOT use the optimizer (-O) if you are using the
dbz routines.  I also had to configure cnews with 0 mask because C2 even when
releaxed seems to interfere with things.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ