ODT 1.1 AFS loosing disk space w/ BNEWS

tom markson thomasm at elk.ingres.com
Fri Jun 14 05:11:14 AEST 1991

I am running SCO ODT 1.1 with BNEWS and have found that the AFS (file
system) seems to incorrectly deal with the expired history and active
files.  It appears that when expire is run, the old history file is not
put back in the free list.  Since these files tend to be quite large, my
disk space is slowly consumed.

In order to reclaim this space, I go into Single-user mode, umount the file
system,  and fsck it.  Many POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERRORs appear during this
process and the fsck links  lots of files into lost+found.  Next, I mount the
file system and rm /u/lost+found/*. I then umount the file system again and
repeat the fsck/mount/rm/umount procedure until no more more files are
connected into lost+found.

This is pretty much a pain, because I have to do this every couple of
days or mega-bytes simply vanish from the filesystem.  My questions are
three:
	1. Is this a bug specifically related to AFS?  (my old Xenix
	   System never did this with the Xenix file system).

	2. Are any of the other file systems better for this sort of
	   thing?

	3. Has anyone else run into this problem and found a fix (either
	   in the OS or in Bnews)?  Does Cnews do this too?

Thanks 1 millions in advance

--
Tom Markson					Unix Systems
email: thomasm at ingres.com			Ingres Corp