Unix with non-standard VGA

David Beckemeyer david at bdt.com
Thu Jun 20 11:18:16 AEST 1991

I'm seeking information on how the various ISC 386 Unix ports
handle the video (console) device.  I am trying to find a
version of Unix that will work with my non-standard VGA card.

How do the Unixes talk to the video?  I have tried several
Unix versions and none of them will work with my monitor/card,
even though the monitor works fine in DOS mode.

What does the Unix console driver expect from the video hardware?
Does it use the on-board video ROM BIOS?  If not, why not?

The CMOS is set to VGA/EGA,  The symptom of the failure is that
at some point after the boot process prints "Booting the Unix System..."
it changes the video mode and the video goes berserk.  The system
is running and listening to what I type, the video output is
just messed up (wrong frequency).

Any ideas?
--
David Beckemeyer (david at bdt.COM)	| "Beer!  Now there's a temporary
Beckemeyer Development Tools		|  solution."  -- Homer Simpson