Second Disk Controller on ATT SVR3.2.3--Can I Do IT????

joel m. cook jmcook at jorel.APLDMT.COM
Fri Jun 21 00:41:22 AEST 1991

I haven't seen this asked in the group and it's not on the
FAQ list, so I thought I'd try.

The subject is the gist of the question.  It's clear from the
man pages that AT&T SV/386 (3.2.3) has at least *some* support for
a second hard disk controller and disks.  The "diskadd" command
makes reference to device special files of the form:

	/dev/dsk/[cid]jsk

where 'i' is the controller number (0 or 1), 'j' is the driver number and
'k' is the partition number.  The standard files would be something
like /dev/dsk/c0d0s1 for the root partition, but the "c0d" is omitted
for the first controller.

I'm trying to figure out how or even if this implementation can be done.
Does the bios at boot time have to support the second controller, or is
that irrelevant since UNIX does its own thing?  Clearly the controller
would need another interrupt, but that's not a problem (I think) since
I have several spare.  At first glance, this all seems reasonable to
do by setting up the appropriate /etc/conf files, rebuilding and going, but
I'd like to know if anyone else has tried it, and if so, with what results.

Thanks in advance and I'll post if there's enough interest.
--
			Joel M. Cook
			jmcook at jorel.apldmt.com