vi and rlogin

Tim Ruckle timr at sco.COM
Sat Jun 8 04:55:39 AEST 1991

In article <852 at tiamat.fsc.com> jim at tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) writes:
} When using "vi" under SCO Unix (or Xenix) after making a "rlogin"
} connection (i.e. the SCO box is the remote machine), using the arrow
} keys is a pain.  I know that running "stty min 3 time 10" helps
} make the problem go away, but I can't figure out how to get "vi" to
} honor the changes.

This is a known problem, and the easiest work-around is to use telnet
instead of rlogin.

The issue is resolved in SCO TCP/IP version 1.1.3 (for SCO UNIX) which
is now shipping, and in SCO TCP/IP version 1.2.0 (for SCO XENIX) which
is soon to be released.

The problem is that rlogin sends the characters one packet at a time,
and the arrow keys are actually sending a series of characters.  The
way vi tells whether you've hit the arrow key or typed in those
characters separately is by how fast they come in--since they're coming
in one per packet there can be problems with the timing.

-timr
--
Usenet: !{uunet,ucbvax!ucscc,decvax!microsof}!sco!timr, ...!mcsun!ukc!scol!timr
Internet: [MX handlers]  timr at sco.COM     [others]  timr%sco.COM at ucscc.UCSC.EDU