Need help: Fax96 under VPIX

Dean Carpenter deano at areyes.com
Tue Jun 25 15:46:15 AEST 1991

I recently purchased a Frecom Fax96 faxmodem from CompuAdd for my
system, but I'm having some trouble getting it to work under vpix.
My configuration is :

	ISC unix 2.2.1 - 33MHz 486 eisa
	FAS 2.08 serial driver

The Fax96 can be configured to use various IO ports and IRQ lines,
I have it set for 0x380 - 0x381 and IRQ 5.  The mouse port on the
motherboard uses IRQ 12, so I had to change the mouse driver from
IRQ 5 to 12.  I modified the space.c file for FAS, letting it know
about the Fax96 IO ports and IRQ line.

I've verified that the Fax96 works fine if the system is booted up
under DOS 3.3, but not under vpix.  When unix boots, the FAS initialization
line shows a '3' for the init status of tty02, the port for the Fax96.  I'm
not even sure I need FAS for this, as it's not a regular serial port, it's
only used by the fax software, not unix, but vpix has to go through unix to
access the hardware, right ?

I've created a DDA device for vpix using sysadm-packagemgmt-vpixmgmt, giving
it the correct IO address range and IRQ line, and added it to the vpix.cnf
file in my vpix directory, both using node name /dev/tty02.

In any case, the fax software can't see the Fax96 - the debugging output
claims that IO port 380 does not respond.  What do I need to do to allow
DOS software access to IO ports 380-381 and IRQ 5 ?

--
Dean Carpenter		uunet!areyes!deano		(203) 531-5007
Areyes, Inc.		deano at areyes.com

"Wherever you go, there you are" sayeth Buckaroo - across the Eighth Dimension