no active partition on HD: boot problem ISC UNIX 2.2.1 on Tandon 486/33

Edgar Hoch edgar at milan.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jun 7 15:48:18 AEST 1991

We have an Tandon 486/33 EISA with Adaptec SCSI-Controller and a 660 MByte
harddisk. We want to install MS-DOS 4.01 and ISC UNIX 2.2.1 on the same
harddisk.

So I made to partitions, the first for DOS (about 27 MB), the second for Unix
(about 608 MB), and a third again for DOS (about 25 MB). I had installed DOS
and when the first partition is active, then the computer boots DOS from the
first partition.

Then I installed ISC UNIX 2.2.1 at the UNIX partition (from diskette) and all
was ok. After the installation the computer wanted to reboot. But it does not
boot the Unix System from harddisk. Instead, there is an error message:
		no active partition on HD

But when I boot DOS from diskette again and run fxprep (the analogon to fdisk
on earlier versions) the it says that the Unix partition IS active!

My vendor told me to try to install ISC Unix on the whole harddisk. I will try
it today. But sometimes we want to work with DOS too (we have VP/ix too, but
some programms uses extended memory and therefore will not run under VP/ix).
So it would be nice to could have coexist DOS and UNIX on the same harddisk
(because we have only one harddisk!).

Has anyone an idea what I should do to make it work? Please reply with mail, I
will summarize if I got some interesting.

--
Edgar Hoch
Student of Informatik             | Internet:
University of Stuttgart, Germany  |  edgar at adler.philosophie.uni-stuttgart.de