Second Disk Controller on ATT SVR3.2.3--Can I Do IT????

nels.f.poulsen nfp at cbnewsm.att.com
Fri Jun 28 04:19:13 AEST 1991

Two controllers using ATT SVR3.2.3???  Heck I haven't been very successful getting
one WD1007 and two esdi drives to work very well.  I do the add disk via face
and it seems to go well until setting up the file systems (tmp and usr3).  It
takes over 2 minutes for a 5meg tmp and about half hour for the 50 meg usr3.

Once the diskadd is complete, any and all accesses to the second hard drive take
incredible amounts of time and locks out the currect user (and possibly the
entire system; its a one user system right now) for a long, long time (anywhere
from 15 seconed to over one minute).  The second disk doesn't seem to be doing
anything but hanging the system; the activity light goes on, but I cant hear any
particular head movement or any sign that some io is being done.

Both disks are partitioned with a dos partition as the first one on the drive
and this wait problem doesn't happen when using dos.  The disk paramneters seem
to be set correctly, so I'm not sure what might cause this problem.  The hard
disks are both Seagate (Imprimus) ESDI and are 309 and 159 megs respectively.

Any help would be appreciated...

Nels Poulsen
(908)957-2611