Performance of 80486 based machines running Unix

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Jun 22 11:56:03 AEST 1991

fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:

>As someone who takes care of RISC 6000s on a daily basis, I venture to
>give you my own opinions, I post it instead of mailing because I believe
>this is of general interest.  As RISC 6000 low end model is on par with
>high end 33Mhz 486s...

One of our clients has a pair of 6000s.  The low end model fees about
the speed of our 33Mhz 386.  The other model is about 30% faster.

(They are now talking about getting a new disk drive and IBM has quoted
them a price of $4,500 or so for a 330MB SCSI drive)

>|> 	- Have enough power left over for me (the sysadmin) to handle
>|> 	  some heavy programming chores without having to step out for
>|> 	  a cup of coffee everytime I run a make.

The 6000s do a fairly good job compiling, but when it comes to linking
they are as slow as som 286s.  If we run two links at the same time,
the entire machine grinds to a hault.

I'm not saying the 6000s are dogs, just that they aren't screamers either.

--
I guess these are the views of VTI - since it is my consulting company.

Conor P. Cahill              (703)430-9247              uunet!virtech!cpcahil
Virtual Technologies, Inc.  46030 Manekin Plaza            Sterling, VA 22170