Gcc 1.39 and X386 1.1b (and xfig 2.0 p10)

Glenn Geers glenn at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU
Sat Jun 29 08:25:20 AEST 1991

>From article <1224 at applix.com>, by scotte at applix.com (Scott Evernden):
> In article <1991Jun27.173040.3890 at mav.com> stu at mav.com writes:
>>After bringing up Roell's X386 1.1b, using gcc 1.39 (standard distribution,
>>not the stuff with direct support for COFF and gdb), I tried to get
>>xfig up.  I grabbed the latest copy I could find, xfig 2.0 pl10 and
>>it compiled first try without any problems.  However, upon running
>>it, it would crash the server when I tried to draw any lines.
>
> Oh fud.  You mean that bug is still in there?  I've been trying to get
> my hands on 1.1b in the hopes that maybe that particular annoyance went
> away.  I guess I don't need to try so hard now...
>
> I've mentioned this problem here before, but hain't seen any followups.
> Maybe Mr. Roell can take a look at this when he has a chance??
>
> -scott

I had this problem as well. But after recompiling the server without any
network stuff (Esix 3.2 rev D - sockets are a little weird) and modifying
gcc so that statics do not go into the data segment but into the bss it all
worked fine. The way gcc pads code out to page boundaries is also different
from the way cc does it. Straight gcc/gas does not use 0x90 as the opcode
for a nop. This also leads to problems building shlibs where the start address
must be known in advance.

Currently I'm using gcc 1.40 with the aforementioned changes and xfig 2.10
works fine. BTW I'm only using X386 1.1a - is 1.1b faster or what?

Glenn

Glenn Geers                       | "So when it's over,
                                  |  we're back to people.
Department of Theoretical Physics |  Just to prove that human touch
The University of Sydney          |  can have no equal."
Sydney NSW 2006 Australia         |  - Basia Trzetrzelewska, 'Prime Time TV'

       +61 2 660-2903 (fax)       |

glenn at qed.physics.su.oz.au        | #include <standard_disclaimer.h>