Sony SMO-C501 drive - help needed

Edmund C. Lam lam at hyper.hyper.com
Tue Mar 5 23:42:19 AEST 1991

I just had some bad experiences with this drive.  Pinnacle sells this
exact drive with the WDFASST.  First, the SST device drivers from Columbia
install but refuse to recognize sst partitions on the SMO from ISC2.2.

The 'dutil' program to manipulate SST partitions fails with floating
point overflows.  The only way to write SST partitions is to boot up
under DOS.  In any case, the SST drivers recognize the SMO, but fail to
recognize any logical SST partitions.

At this point, I gave up with the WDFASST and hooked the SMO up to the
AH1542.  Drive seemed to work.  I tried to up a file system on it but
it hanged the machine.  I tried 'dd'ing and this does work.  'tar' does
complains about not being able to write odd numbered blocks ( this is the
ah1542 driver complaining ).

The SMO disk we used had 512 byte sectors.  I think ISC2.2 should handle
this drive just like a regular SCSI disk off.  Close, but no bannas.

Any suggestions or pointers on getting the SMO to mate with the 1542 under
ISC 2.2 would be appreciated.