Software, support, and warranties

Robert W. Withrow witr at rwwa.COM
Wed Mar 20 02:11:50 AEST 1991

In article <523 at bria> you write:
>...Since most copy-protection schemes are trivial and easily broken, they
>represent a minor hurdle...

Absolutely!  I was not trying to suggest that copy-protection was
useful it this case, I was trying to point out the futility of
detecting this sort of thing.  I think copy-protection is pretty well
discredited by now.

The major point to remember (in the context of the discussion) is that
if a person is inclined to steal the program, the effort of:

  1) Ordering the program, and sending a check or charging it (at
$1000).
  2) Waiting for it to arrive.
  3) Copying all 50 floppies (or one tape on your $1500 tape drive).
  4) Phoning for the RMA
  5) Waiting for the RMA label to arrive,
  6) Returning the package (and going to the post-office or UPS),
  7) and Finally, waiting for the check, or the credit on the CC.

is more effort than all but the most hardy thieves are willing to
expend. If the *are* willing to do this, then there is precious little
you can do to stop it.  And because you are dealing with a dedicated
thief, it becomes irrelevant to the issue of Unlimited, Satisfaction
Guaranteed warranties.

On the other hand, a good-faith buyer would love to have this option
if it turns out that the OS doesn't work for him.
--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA