Curses and colorDIR

mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
Thu Mar 21 18:15:36 AEST 1991

In article <1213 at caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, cjeffery at cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:
> From article <1991Mar15.091313.7322 at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca>, by mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca:
>> Does anyone out in the wide world of this newsgroup have any source that
>> displays text in color using curses/terminfo?  I am trying to get (*ahem*)
>> nethack 3p10 to use color -- the hooks are all in there, but it seems not to
>> work in Esix.
>
> I got it to work by hacking the code that sends the color info...I had to
> swap two things that were being set, because ESIX couldn't handle it in
> the order nethack is setting them.  It is really the case that a simple
> edit to a couple printf's did the trick, and that finding the problem and
> fixing it took a couple afternoons for me since I didn't know where to look.
> I have them on tape somewhere if you are really stumped.  I absolutely love
> Nethack, but it is a perfect embodiment of itself--it is a total hack.
> --
> | Clint Jeffery, U. of Arizona Dept. of Computer Science
> | cjeffery at cs.arizona.edu -or- {noao allegra}!arizona!cjeffery
> --

Actually, I got color to work in Esix with nethack quite simply.  A friend
pointed out to me "rtfm! rtfm!".

In a nutshell:  just define the textcolor thing in config.h.  Compile.  Make
sure that you define in your environment NETHACKOPTIONS=standout.

That's all she took ... the only thing I missed was the NETHACKOPTIONS thing. I
had done everything else right. *sigh*

BTW: Thanks to everyone that sent me mail; I appreciate all the source showing
how to use color within curses.  Very twisted stuff, but now that I know how, I
can make incredibly garish and ugly interfaces :-)

Mike Hoffos
--
Email: mhoffos at janus.mtroyal.ab.ca  <-  works for most sites. If not, try
                                        just replying to this message