ISC 2.2 Hangs on disk I/O

Martin J. Schedlbauer martin at saturn.uucp
Sat Mar 16 23:35:13 AEST 1991

In article <27DD916A.14624 at orion.oac.uci.edu> drector at orion.oac.uci.edu (David Rector) writes:
>This is posted for a friend: Ira Baxter - baxter at slcs.slb.com
>
>------------------------
>
>   I have a Modular Circuit Technology's 25MHz cache 386 system.
>   I have a Western Digital WD1006V-SR2 RLL controller with a Segate
>   ST-277-1 65MB RLL Harddisk with DOS in the first ~8Meg partion and
>   ISC 2.2 UNIX in the rest.  /etc/partions contains an accurate map
>   of the bad sectors in the unix partion.
>
>   The problem:
>     Some times during disk I/O, the disk light will just stay on solid
>     and the system is locked up.  I can not get any response other than
>     turning the stupid thing off.

It happened to me twice too under a different combination:

	Esix 3.2D
	AMI 386-25
	Maxtor 8760E (650 MB ESDI)
	UltraStore 12F ESDI controller

During VERY heavy file I/O sometimes the drive light just stays on, the
system is NOT dead, but yu can't get anywhere until you do a hard reset.

Somebody said that this is a known problem with the WD controllers if you
have two drives and two seeks are started at the same time. I took out my
second drive and I am running single now and it happened again about a week
ago. So that doesn't seem to be the problem.

	...Martin