SCO TCP/IP: lpr service?

E.J. Leoni-Smith leo at unipalm.uucp
Tue Mar 5 09:38:23 AEST 1991

rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>I'm about to install TCP/IP between various systems, including a few SCO
>Unix 3.2.2 boxes, an RS-6000, and an NCR Tower.  I've also got a DOS
>system serving as a gateway into a Novell network.

>Looking through SCO's TCP/IP manual, I find no support for standard
>lprd services which I used to run on a Sun network with various other
>systems (like a VAX/VMS system running Multinet).  What gives?  Did
>SCO really leave out something as fundamental as printer service from
>their costly TCP/IP product?

Yes: All system V stuff has networking as an 'add on' V.4 will support
remote printing, but will only act as LPR client, not LPD server. There
is a new mechanism in V.4 - don't know more.

>How do I get my lpr / lpq / etc commands
>to work via TCP/IP?

Patch the print drive scripts to use rsh hostname lp -dprinter < $file or
whatever. i.e. use rsh to remote invoke the print Q on SCO. beware that
user root cannot use rsh, so if you try a remote print as root it will
fail.

This hack works ok. easy from sysv.4 to sysv.4 Harder from 4.3BSD as
I don't know where to patch lpr mechaniusm.

If you need more info mail me.