New Logitech "Mouseman" fails on ISC 2.2.1

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Tue Mar 26 04:18:27 AEST 1991

campbell at redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes, in response to an article
complaining that Logitech Mouseman isn't compatible with C9:
> This happened to me, too, and gave me quite a chuckle when I figgered it
> out.  Guess what?  The new Logitech "Mouseman" mouse is *not*
> Logitech-compatible!  That's right, it emulates a *Microsoft* mouse!  Oh,
> you want to use all three buttons?  Well, the thing comes with all these
> nifty drivers for Windows, Lotus 1-2-3, etc. etc. but if you're not running
> MooShi-DOS, you're stuck with two buttons!

*sigh*!

This is all too common in DOSland.  To PC hardware manufacturers, "hardware
compatible" means "compatible at the BIOS level, maybe, if you install our
DOS driver."  While there's an advantage in the manufacturer being able to
change the hardware if it must, yet keep compatibility by modifying the
driver, it allows (encourages?) gratuitous changes.  It also means that for
any OS other than DOS (a concept not grasped by a lot of little manufac-
turers:-), you get to wait until somebody writes or modifies an existing
driver.  And, of course, this increases the cost of software.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   The Official Colorado State Vegetable is now the "state legislator".