Dell UNIX compatibility question

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Mar 4 13:11:00 AEST 1991

In article <13615 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu> yeh at cs.purdue.EDU (Wei Jen Yeh) writes:
|     Experiences:
|     o making every filesystem as s5, not ufs (including the ROOT!!!!) "could"
|       be helpful and necessary for some 3.2 applications.

  Unless you need this compatibility I wouldn't. The s5 f/s seems slower
and I think it uses freelist instead of bitmap (i am *not* sure about
the last).

|     o you can allocate swap space using files.  And it works.  I allocaed
|       8mb on the 3085 and another 8mb on the scsi.  No panics.
|     o X only supports 640x480 for vga's.  But I was able to install tvtwm
|       quite easily though.  Dell's releasing Roell's X386 soon, last time
|       I heard.

  I'm told this is coming by the end of February. Oops! Well, Dell has
been more concerned with reliability than performance here, I think the
X03 beta version supported 800x600 if you had a Paradise.

|     o there's the vidi porgram, but no e80x43 mode!!!

  You noticed that, too!

|     o It may be because of the main swap being on the 3085, not enough memory,
|       or no math co, X performance isn't quite good though.

  X performance is improved by a 387. And if you're compiling your own
stuff, like tvtwm and xloadimage, when they release gcc that will help a
huge bunch.

|     o the tty driver (or whatever is handling the keyboard input) sometimes
|       gets crazy when you hit ctrl-C.  A couple more ctrl-C sometimes save
|       it.

  I have not had any problem with this at all. I also notice that I can
bounce vt's from X to DOS to normal screens and never hang. Some popular
3.2 releases get very confused if you go in and out of DOS graphics screens.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX