Need Help with dual screens (VGA/Herc) on Xenix Sys V 2.3.1

Douglas Floer dougf at mdavcr.UUCP
Sun Mar 31 11:02:18 AEST 1991

I need help setting up dual screens on my system.  My config is a 386DX
running SCO Xenix System V 2.3.1 and DOS 4.0.1.  I have an ATI VGA
Wonder+ card with 512K and a DTI Hercules (w/CGA Emulation) compatible
monochrome card.

Both the Hercules and the VGA cards work fine in DOS.  Ie, I can do a
"MODE MONO" command and display on the Herc screen and then switch
back using "MODE CO80".  When I boot to Xenix, only the VGA monitor is
found during the boot probe.  This is all hwconfig finds with both cards
installed:
	name=console vec=- dma=- unit=vga type=0

Here's what I get when I remove the ATI VGA card:
	name=console vec=- dma=- unit=mono type=2

I'm told I should expect something like this on a VGA system with a
standard (non-Hercules) card:  (Note that type=0, not 2.)
	name=console vec=- dma=- unit=vga type=0
	name=console vec=- dma=- unit=mono type=0

I sure would like to get both screens going and would be very
grateful to anyone who can help.

Please e-mail responses.
Doug
--
Doug Floer                        Voice: (604) 278-3411
MacDonald Dettwiler               Fax:   (604) 278-3786