Logging dlogin session to VMS

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Jan 6 05:24:15 AEST 1990

In article <7225 at shlump.nac.dec.com> thomas at decwrl.dec.com writes:
> In article <1995 at eric.mpr.ca>, murphy at eric.mpr.ca (Gail Murphy) writes:
> > I would like to connect to a VMS machine from an Ultrix workstation
> > and log the session...
>
> I could change dlogin to set the logfile to be unbuffered but that
> would be at the cost of slowing down dlogin.  Or maybe fflush the
> logfile once dlogin has been idle for 30secs or so.  (which would
> be easy to tie into the select call).  And/or when you escape to the
> dlogin command menu?  Any other ideas?

Opinion:

It seems to me that the -l switch is used so infrequently that setting the
log to unbuffered or doing a fflush after each time your see that you have
written a line terminator to the terminal output wouldn't really have any
serious performance impact.  You might try it and see if there's any noticable
slow down.

BTW, you might want to think about what dlogin is doing for input and output.
It appears to at least look at stdin for input but opens /dev/tty for output.
This makes it inordinatly difficult to drive from a script or pipe the output
to something else as compared to copying the stdin/stdout descriptors...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net