Logging dlogin session to VMS

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Jan 10 09:00:02 AEST 1990

In article <7256 at shlump.nac.dec.com> thomas at decwrl.dec.com writes:
> In article <9225 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George
> Robbins) writes:
>> In article <7225 at shlump.nac.dec.com>, I wrote writes:
>>> I could change dlogin to set the logfile to be unbuffered...
>
>> BTW, you might want to think about what dlogin is doing for input and output.
>> It appears to at least look at stdin for input but opens /dev/tty for output.
>> This makes it inordinatly difficult to drive from a script or pipe the output
>> to something else as compared to copying the stdin/stdout descriptors...
>
> My guess for the reason for this is that there is no way to synchronize
> the input
> to the requests from the remote node (what does flush typeahead do?
> which is the
> first thing VMS does) and that a using pty would be best.  I don't
> strong feelings
> either way but it does seem to be a reasonable argument.

I guess this is an issue, but opening /dev/tty conveys no obvious advantage
over duping or using stdin/stdout.  Even with the flow control/input purge
problem, it would still be possible to "talk" to a VMS system from the
shell using standard pipe techniques, which is the kind of capability you
want to preserve as far as possible in the unix environment...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net