/usr/new/csh file completion and "stty newcrt"

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Jan 12 23:11:10 AEST 1990

In article <21127 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hastings at hemlock.berkeley.edu (Mark Hastings) writes:
> I've been addicted to csh's file completion feature for some time...
>
> But recently, I've discovered some programs (notably "rn") that unset
> the "ctlecho" parameter (from checking "stty everything").   This causes
> file completion to fall back into it's stupid non-crt mode.  Does anyone
> have any hints about why this is happening, and how to fix it?

I've had users notice the same thing, but never correlated it exactly to
rn.  Makes sense though.  Usually they complain about escape echoing literally,
munging their crt display.

First step would be to recompile rn and see if that helps.  Next try the funny
setting using the bourne shell and see if it's actually rn dropping the ball
and not some new/csh foolisness.

If it's something that reading and rewriting tty parameters seems to be
loosing then maybe it's time for an SPR.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net