SYSTEM logins weird

Pat Barron pat at orac.pgh.pa.us
Sat Jan 13 19:44:44 AEST 1990

In article <9533 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hurf at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
>	Posting my own followup:
>	I found that /etc/gettytab had been
>	rewritten with the top 3690 bytes of /etc/passwd - this
>	is the second time under Ultrix3.1 on 2 different systems
>	this has happened - ?????

I've seen this a lot, too.  I've always suspected that it had something
to do with the fact that /etc/gettytab is edited in /etc/rc or rc.local
(to put the current system version string into the default login banner)
but have never been able to prove anything....

--Pat.
--
Pat Barron
Internet:  pat at orac.pgh.pa.us  - or -   orac!pat at gateway.sei.cmu.edu
UUCP:  ...!uunet!apexepa!sei!orac!pat  - or -  ...!pitt!darth!orac!pat