uucp and Ultrix 3.1C

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sun Mar 4 18:01:01 AEST 1990

In article <9944 at cbmvax.commodore.com> grr at cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:
> Just when I thought my 3.1C problems were over...
>
> (1) It seems that the uucp shipped with Ultrix 3.1C still thinks that 19200 is
>     an "invalid speed".
>
>     Does anyone know the offset of the speed table and how to use this "dbx"
>     animal to do a simple thing like patch an object file.

Since there was some time to play, I did it the hard way...

To add the capability of running Telebit or other modems at 19200, I located
the speed table in the uucico object and replaced the 50 and 75 baud entries
with numbers appropriate for 19200 and 38400 baud.  (38400 selects external
clock on most interfaces but worth the try!)

Since DEC doesn't ship (boo hiss) adb with the PMAX software, the easiest
thing to do was rcp the uucico executable over to a Sun make the changes
and ship it back.  If you have a VAX handy, do it there, since then you don't
have to worry about byte order.

Here's the "how to" for both Sun and VAX.  Be *SURE* to make a backup copy
of uucico to avoid looking foolish and also check that it is setuid uucp,
setgid daemon after you're done!  If the numbers don't match, you've got a
version problem...

** Sun ** Procedure:

# adb -w uucico
24362?8x
0x24362:	0	3200	0	100	0	4b00	0	200
?w 0 4b 0 0e00 0 96 0 0f00
24362?8x
0x24362:	0	4b	0	e00	0	96	0	f00
^D

VAX Procedure: (this was cooked, but i suspect it's right)

# adb -w uucico
24362?4D
24362:	50	1	75	2
?W 0t19200 0t14 0t38400 0t15
24362?4D
24362:	19200	14	38400	15
^D

# ls -lg /usr/lib/uucp/uucico		# (or, yeech: /var/uucp/uucico)
---s--s--x  1 uucp     daemon     172032 Mar  3 00:18 /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com