fort vs f77

Bob Peterson peterson at fman.enet.dec.com
Tue Jun 11 06:26:19 AEST 1991

DEC Fortran V3.0 for RISC/ULTRIX has the command f77 and the man page f77.1.
The directory /usr/lib/cmplrs/fort holds the executables and related files.  We needed to call the directory something different during development and customer field testing so it wouldn't conflict with FORTRAN for RISC, which is/was our repackaging (with some bugfixes and changes) of MIPSco's f77.  During field test the compiler command was named 'fort'.

When installing it does indeed rename the old f77.1 man page to ffr.1, and the old driver command f77 is merely replaced.  You have to use the command f772.1 (or whatever version you had last) to get the old compiler.  Of course we believe the bug tradeoff is in favor of the new compiler (certainly both have bugs) since it has a better test suite and more extensive field testing that the earlier versions.  And execution time benchmarks are also showing shorter run time -on the average- for the user's progr

am.

So yes DEC RISC ULTRIX has a 'fort' of sorts, in the directory name only.  Your other descriptions are accurate.

\bob
 DEC Fortran