Ultrix 4.2

trost at reed.edu trost at reed.edu
Tue Jun 25 10:48:56 AEST 1991

    What is this anal retentive wish to build the MIT server anyway??
    DEC's servers are faster, more reliable, and supported!!!!

1) Because I'd rather run X, and not this "DECWindows" thing somebody
   dreamed up.  Occassionally we play with DECWindows a bit when we
   install a new release of Ultrix.  The server under Ultrix 4.0 was
   either painting or scrolling both xterms and emacses improperly,
   and every once in a while a moved window would leave behind an
   immovable region.  Sorta sounds like a violation of the spec to
   me....

   (I'd be interested to hear what people know about this problem, by
   the way)

2) Because DEC decided to be obnoxiously cute with some of the
   software.  You disable the DIGITAL banner on the login screen by
   setting the correct resource, and the session manager inserts a
   sleep of several seconds before starting the user's session.  I
   don't need this kind of sleazy cruft.