VAX 11/780 problems

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Tue Nov 10 01:43:34 AEST 1981

>From allegra!psuvax!red at Berkeley Tue Nov 10 01:07:58 1981
We have been having a number of problems with our RK07-based VAX
11/780.  The problems appear to be paging- and/or disk-related.  For
example, vi occasionally fills screen with garbage, which clears up
when screen is redrawn (no, not a terminal problem!!).  Also, cp a b
causes 132 characters in a to be replaced by 132 nulls in b.  Finally,
we have once-twice weekly fatal system crashes (variety of CPU-related
reasons, primarily kernel stack invalid).  We are now to the point
where DEC, having screwed around for weeks (months?) says "It must be
your software" (we're running 4.0BSD). HELP!!!  I would be very
interested in holding a more detailed conversation with anyone who can
point us at the nature of the problem, who can definitively say it's
NOT our software, etc.  I will supply more details on request.  We're
(almost) to the point of trading our VAX in on a 4341 (groan...)

		- Ralph Droms
		  Penn State University