uucp over Sytek local network

eric at aplvax.UUCP eric at aplvax.UUCP
Sun Nov 20 13:07:33 AEST 1983

	I have gotten a number of responses to my original posting,
and I would like to thank them all. Many were of the form - "Sytek
does support 8 bit transfer, just turn off parity, etc.". The one
thing I forgot to mention in the original article was that the
Sytek units are connected to DEC DMF-32 boards, where the majority of
the ports do not support EIA control lines. Therefore, the network
must use XON/XOFF, and so eight bit transparency is not possible.
The good news is that I have developed a new protocol for uucp that
does not require all eight bits. It is essentially the same as the
usual protocol, except that it breaks up the data into smaller
pieces than eight bits in a byte. Throughput goes down, but the
network and uucp tend to guarentee delivery, so higher than normal
baud rates can be used effectively. Thanks again for all the replys.

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!eric