Multiple file versions -- FLAME ON!!

mo at LBL-CSAM.ARPA mo at LBL-CSAM.ARPA
Fri Aug 31 13:18:23 AEST 1984

THROTTLES TO 104% THRUST!

One of the greatest acts of genius in Unix is the understanding that
filesystems don't need crap like multiple versions.  Having used
(extensively) various other operating systems which offer this "feature",
I hope I never meet anyone who commits the abominable act of putting
such a thing into Unix.  Shells which make Unix look like Tenex are
bad enough, but are tolerable as curiosities committed by consenting
adults in the privacy of their own terminal sessions.  To  place such
a thing in the kernel would surely give you wart on your tongue...

This is not a slur on Tenex users; if you like Tenex, please, use it.
But Unix is not Tenex, and there are those of us who are glad of it.

	-Flamin' Mike

PS - in my experience, filesytems supporting multiple versions
chiefly perform the service of insuring a steady stream of orders
for more disk drives.