UNIX Sys V, consider it the only game in town

Tom Perrine tom at LOGICON.ARPA
Sat Dec 29 07:47:52 AEST 1984

Recently I called ATT Technologies (1-800-828-UNIX).

I was investigating the cost of upgrading a PWB/UNIX source license to
V7 (so we could get 2.9!). We are a subsidiary license of DoD.

They told me that the only upgrade available was to System V Release 2,
which probably wouldn't run on our 11/70. (He couldn't find
out).  However, they would ship us a V7 distro tape.

In other words, no matter what you want, you get a Sys V license,
whether your hardware is supported or not, and they will ship you some
older system that probably will run on your hardware.

Foo! Maybe MCI, Sprint or GTE should go into the operating system business.
Anybody have a contact for GNU? I'm completely disgusted.

{Ma Bell is a mother!}

Tom Perrine