UUCP guru needed!

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at ncc.UUCP
Mon Dec 22 07:55:51 AEST 1986

In article <4333 at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, gary at mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Gary Samad) writes:
> may ask your help in getting my uucp up.
>
> I have it up to the point that it can dial other systems, log on, and
> start some protocall, but then it times out and dies.  I've tried dialing
> two completely different machines (a V7 and a 4.3 machine) with exactly
> the same results;  this leads me to believe that I have some problem with
> my uucp.  It is stock from DEC on ULTRIX32M on a microvax.

This problem seems to be generic to Ultrix UUCP. I have a h*** of a time
passing traffic to systems running it. We run CTIX (Sys_V), and I've also
tried it from V7 without much luck. It does seem to talk to 4.2 quite
nicely.

Again, in our case the big problem seems to be TIMEOUTs. We can usually
push between 20 and 40 packets across, then the sender (us) starts timing
out and resending. After a while it just gives up.

One day (in frustration), I compiled the code on a non-VAX machine and
tried it. Same result, so it doesn't look like it's a hardware related
problem.

Like the man said, HELP!
--
Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM)      Systems Group - A Div. of Nexus Computing Corp.

UUCP: {ihnp4,ubc-vision,watmath}!alberta!ncc!lyndon  BITNET: USERCHNL at UALTAMTS