UNIX to VMS via DECNET

bob at osu-eddie.UUCP bob at osu-eddie.UUCP
Thu Feb 5 00:11:42 AEST 1987

In article <3019 at gitpyr.gatech.EDU> allen at gitpyr.gatech.EDU (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
>I have an immediate need to be able to get files to/from a DEC
>micro-Vax running VMS 4.4 and DECNET from/to a UNIX system.

Forget about DECnet.

>The candidate UNIX systems are: SUN-3/160, APOLLO DN660, MASSCOMP
>MC5500, IBM RT-PC.

All of the systems have serial lines.

>All of the systems have ethernet.

Forget about it.  See above.

>The solution must be software only as I need it by tomorrow.

Bit of a deadline, huh?  Sounds like how much warning our faculty
gives us sometimes :-)

>ANYTHING that can move files will be OK even if it is just an
>experiment you have been working on and even if it does not work
>perfectly.

Get copies of Kermit for VMS (either C or Bliss/Macro) and for UNIX
(C); compile them, string a terminal cable betwixt the machines in
question, and away you go.  It's software-only, free, and widely
available.  You can get it via FTP or Bitnet from Cornell or via UUCP
from okstate.  Somebody local to you probably has it already.  It even
works, being quite mature, non-experimental, and well-debugged.

>Thanks
>
>P. Allen Jensen

You're quite welcome.  I hope you get your answer in time.
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277