How do you manage multiple /etc/passwd files?

adam at mtund.UUCP adam at mtund.UUCP
Fri Feb 13 02:44:52 AEST 1987

Felix <2253 at felix.UUCP> writes:
> In <2253 at felix.UUCP> zemon writes:
>
> > I just installed my third computer which means that now I have three
> > /etc/passwd files.  So now I'm trying to figure out some way to relieve
> > my users from the need to update passwords three times when they want
> > to change them.  How do you do it.
>
> Users should NOT use the same password on more than one computer for obvious
> security reasons.  In addition, you should probably use password aging to
> require your users to change their passwords periodically.

Bullfeathers. A user who is required to have multiple passwords, and
keep on changing them, will write them down rather than take the risk
of relying on fallible human memory.  All an intruder needs do is read
them - usually from a little piece of paper pasted on the terminal.
I would rather stick with a single one I can reliably keep in my head.

						Adam V. Reed
						mtund!speedy!avr