Terminal locks (was Autologout of unused terminals)

Mark A. Heilpern heilpern at ibd.BRL.MIL
Tue Dec 20 23:21:24 AEST 1988

In article <971 at vsi.COM> friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <2292 at cuuxb.ATT.COM>, dlm at cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:

>No kidding.  The 4.1BSD [I think] `lock' had a hardcoded magic
>unlock password ("hasta la vista"), and ^Z would stop it as
>well.
>     Steve

Immediately after reading this, like any curious user, I checked it out on
our 4.2BSD system. Yes, using ^Z DOES abort lock, as does "hasta la vista."

My initial attempt at typeing "hasta..." was misspelled, and STILL went
through. This lead me to discover ANY two word (separated by a space)
combination will satisfy the lock program.

Rather than tell you how you should feel about this, I'll let you form
your own conclusions.

					Mark

{These are the opinions of myself and NOT those of my employer.}

--