how do I tell the size of a pseudoterm window?

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Fri Dec 9 08:41:48 AEST 1988

In article <594 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
[ about a layers terminal ]
> [ ... ] the
>question is whether programs on other machines on the network can use
>that terminal in the same way that programs on that machine can, in the
>same way programs using X can run either on the machine on which the
>display server is running (assuming it's not just an "X terminal" not
>set up to run applications) or on any machine that can be *logically*
>connected, via some kind of network connection, to that machine.

The big question is just whether those other machines can establish
a logical connection to the layers terminal.  The standard layers
software doesn't include a TCP gateway or anything like it, so normally,
the answer is no.  But there isn't anything inherent in the layers spec
that prevents such support from being written.

I think the "superiority" of X over layers in this respect is entirely
due to the transport mechanisms they normally use; the windowing
systems themselves are equally suitable for network use.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com