how do I tell the size of a pseudoterm window?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Sat Dec 10 04:49:33 AEST 1988

>The big question is just whether those other machines can establish
>a logical connection to the layers terminal.  The standard layers
>software doesn't include a TCP gateway or anything like it, so normally,
>the answer is no.

Err, umm, maybe I missed something, but it sure sounded like Doug Gwyn
said you could achieve what is really desired here, which is to run a
display-oriented program on a machine other than the one to which the
tube is directly physically connected, so the answer is, apparently,
"yes", not "no".  My guess is that the "TCP gateway" in this case is
something like "rlogin", passing characters from the network connection
to the terminal and *vice versa*.

>But there isn't anything inherent in the layers spec
>that prevents such support from being written.

Now, if you had some terminal-based window system that *didn't* allow
that, for whatever reason, the superiority of X over the hypothetical
window system in question would be that such support wouldn't *have* to
be written for X....