SysVr3.2.1 /etc/mount problems

Robert C. White Jr. rwhite at nusdhub.UUCP
Thu Dec 22 12:11:51 AEST 1988

in article <76 at attibr.UUCP>, vch at attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) says:

> After installing the OS, I installed the 4.1 C compiler. The INSTALL procedure
> says that I have to install the System Header Files package again... No
> problem, I figure... Yeah, right.

OK, this one is not as trickey as it sounds... KO, we're not gonna
have any problems with this one... ;-)

The 4.1 C compiler has a routine in it which want's you to install the
system headder files, it *INSISTS* that you do so via floppy.  3.2.1
does not have a System headder files floppy diskette, it is on tape,
so you try to load these things from tape.  sysadm installpkg has the
floppy mounted on the directory /install and sysadm tapepkg wants to
mount the partition of the tape which contains the system headder files
in the directory /install.  here is our basic conflict... ;-)

The reason that the compiler package wants you to install the system
header package at this point is tat the headers that the compiler comes
with are app for 2.something and therefore hopelessly out of date.

When you receive the message asking for the header diskette press break
or delete.  The only thing that the package would thne have done was
transfered it's own execution to the installation routine for the
header diskette, verified that you put in the correct diskette,
installation went well, print a happy little message, and exited.
That's right verginia, no tuning or whatnot takes place there.  When
you push break it prints an anoying message to the effect that
installation migh not have gone well;  just ignore this message, as long
as you load the header package next there is no problem.

Next "sysadm tapepkg" the headder files into place.

To check this out for yourself jsut "mount -r /dev/rSA/diskette1
/install" and then look in /install/INSTALL for the shell scripts.  You
will see that the bulk of the diskette is "cpio -p"ed into place, as are
all the diskettes in the series, and then it get's anoying about the
header files.

Does this sound like someone who has already been through all this?  IT
SHOULD!  I spent the better part of the day disecting the diskettes just
to make shure.  ACK.

Rob.