terminfo

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sat Sep 24 07:01:05 AEST 1988

As quoted from <3194 at pegasus.UUCP> by hansen at pegasus.UUCP (Tony L. Hansen):
+---------------
| < = Peter da Silva
|
| < 10) Use the terminfo routines in other environments. I can define a
| < gamecap file and use the termcap routines to access it. The entries in
| < there don't have to have anything to do with terminals.
|
| I agree that the routines could be made usable in other environments. I
| believe that your use of the termcap routines for gamecap would require
| either having the source avaiable or doing various tricks with the
| environment.
+---------------

If you want to use both curses and a custom termcap file, you need either
(a) source or (b) ar, a binary editor, and either guts or Valium.  Since I'm
unimpressed with termcap anyway, I use either a passwd-style file or one of
my standard libraries, as described in an earlier message.  Although I have
modified termcap when I was in a hurry and didn't have my libraries on the
system in question (I used guts).

Neither termcap nor terminfo is perfect.  Terminfo is better from my
standpoint because it's so much faster than termcap even in the environment
when starting editors -- and yes, I *have* tested this.  But the binary file
is something of a pain.  I suspect I could convert my terminfo-style library
into something that allowed both binary and text formats with relatively
little trouble, so it wouldn't be impossible to solve.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc