Proposed creation of comp.protocols.nfs

R.H. coast near the top geoff at eagle_snax.UUCP
Sun Sep 4 22:06:00 AEST 1988

with a few who are effectively out of reach of it, have proposed
that a newsgroup comp.protocols.nfs be created to provide a broader
forum for discussion of NFS, RPC/XDR and related issues. For instance,
I'd like to see discussions which include such things as FTAM, Greenberg &
Keene's NFILE, RFS, Domain, and the Andrew file system. A quick scan of
comp.protocols, comp.dcom, selected comp.sys groups and comp.unix
showed 19 articles with a subject field which included "[Nn][Ff][Ss]",
with a further 6 in comp.sys.sun (sun-spots). (We expire "comp." after
14 days.) Together these would suggest that comp.protocols.nfs would have
an acceptable traffic level. For now, I see no need to make it a
moderated group.

As usual, please mail comments to me. I'll summarize to the net and (if
the response is positive) issue a call for votes. Please mail
directly, rather than using 'r': my Usenet path is usually horribly
circuitous...

Geoff

PS Various terms used above are trademarks, and the appropriate
squiggles, superscript microcharacters and attributions should be understood.

--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc.+------------------------------------------+
PC Distrib. Sys. (home of PC-NFS)  |Did you remember to stick your disclaimer |