Process Limits

Mike Israel mikei at ctdi.UUCP
Fri Dec 15 08:13:54 AEST 1989

> In article <791 at ctdi.UUCP> I wrote:
> >I am having a problem which I am hoping a wizard can shed some light on.
> >
> >I am running AT&T Unix SYSV on an AT&T 386WGS with 16 meg of memory.  The
> >system is primarily used to run Ingres based applications and has 16 IPC
> >ports.
> >
> >The problem I am having is that once I reach approximately 40 processes
> >(As seen by "ps -eaf") an attempt to run another Ingres application
> >produces the message
> >
> >    "spawn system process table is temporarily full"
> >
> >I am fairly certain that I have run at least this many processes on other
> >386 systems without similiar problems.  Is there an upper limit to the
> >number of processes.

Thanks for the insights to all who provided them.  Oddly, it was not the
tunable system params which were causing the problem.  It turns out that
one of our programmers had made a change to a file which resulted in an
executable requiring about three meg of uninitialized data space.  Why this
resulted in the above error is beyond me.  I would think we should have seen
some type of memory related error.  Anyway, the problem is now solved but
thanks again for the information you did provide.  Maybe this info
will help you if you ever hit the same wall.

Michael A. Israel               ||  uucp: mikei at ctdi.UUCP
                               	||        ...!uunet!cbmvax!ctdi1!ctdi
Communications Test Design Inc.	||
West Chester, PA                || Please direct all complaints to /dev/null