curses - problem... NO

Robert Thurlow thurlow at convex.com
Mon Dec 11 11:21:18 AEST 1989

AGRISCS at umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) writes:
>Oh, try not to use LINES and COLUMNS in your programming... just assume
>an 80 X 24 screen.....  Remember, you want your programs written so that
>they can be used with all emulators/terminals.....

Bullshit.  I have xterms come up on my Sun workstation with 80 columns
and 60 lines, and any program that can sensibly use that much screen
space should do so.  (Obviously, caveats exist - 'nn' can only show
a certain number of entries on the index page because of the selection
scheme; that's fine.)  If any program is written to assume it has that
more than 80x24, it's broken, but it's almost as bad to assume it has
only a small space to use.  A program just doesn't need to be written
with a lot of constants for stuff like this.

Rob T
Rob Thurlow, thurlow at convex.com